Thursday, July 28, 2011

Talking Shit

Yes, it's true. Peace Corps volunteers are mildly obsessed with talking 'bout shit. Our poop stories provide a constant source of conversation and entertainment--- at lunchtime, on public transit, at birthday parties. We're shameless!

During training we learn how to describe our shit properly, utilizing a 7-point scale. Most of us have already memorized the Bristol Stool Chart forwards and backwards. Please review the attached diagram at your leisure. FYI: '7' is no longer considered a “lucky” number by anyone in Peru 17.



I should also make reference to the phenomenon of “Peru-ing” your pants and the 70% club. Prior to my arrival I was informed that 70% of PC Peru volunteers will shit their pants at least once during their term of service. Dr. Jorge, our esteemed medical officer, insists that this statistic is more like 95%.

Ironically, while composing this blog entry I shit myself. Literally. I had been suffering from some gastro-intestinal issues, but I seemed to be on the road to recovery. I thought I was in the clear, that my darkest hour had passed. Nope. Lesson learned: Never trust a fart!

Although I am somewhat humiliated by my toddler-like regression, at least I'll have an interesting story to share at lunch tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. This is quite possibly the best post I have ever or will ever read. Thank YOU!!

    ReplyDelete