Monday, May 9, 2011

Bienvenidos!

Welcome to my blog!  After some deliberation and procrastination I have decided to document my Peace Corps journey on the web---mostly because I found the blogs of current and former Peace Corps volunteers to be extremely helpful in surviving the lengthy application process, learning what to expect in the months ahead and how many pairs of underwear to pack. Periodic blog entries will also provide my neurotic mother with tangible evidence that I'm alive. 

Because blogging is completely new to me, I will undoubtedly exploit new features and design options as they become known to me. It will likely annoy you. :) The fonts, background colors, etc. will probably change and evolve several times in the coming weeks. I hope you can survive the journey!

"Al Otro Lado" is Spanish for "to the other side," which captures the essence of my Peace Corps adventure in a single phrase. A month from now I will be traveling to the Southern Hemisphere with 2 checked items of luggage (total weight cannot exceed 80 lbs.!!) and a small carry on-bag. In preparation for this journey I have moved out of my home, sacrificed my vegetarian diet, and re-discovered my natural hair color. I have also learned about the magic of "high performance underwear."

I am both nervous and excited to encounter the challenges before me: eating guinea pig, befriending alpacas, and learning how to wield a machete.

See you on the other side!
         

No comments:

Post a Comment